Curfew continues in Sopore for 3rd day

Other areas observe shutdown * Local Hurriyat leader ‘beaten’ by cops, paramilitary men

Authorities Wednesday imposed a strict curfew in Sopore town of north Kashmir for third consecutive day following the killing of a local youth Arshad Shah in security forces’ firing.
Arshad of Naseem Bagh Sopore was shot dead while four others were injured, one of them critically, when forces resorted to firing to disperse pro-freedom protesters on Monday.
Batapora, Khushalmatta, Channakhan, Kralteng, Arimpora and adjacent areas remained under strict curfew without any deal while General Bus Stand witnessed some leniency in the curfew as forces allowed movement of few people in the area. The inhabitants of curfewed localities complained of strict restrictions.
Minor stone pelting incidents were witnessed at Hatishah and Channakhan localities.
Troops blocked roads with wooden poles and concertina wires to foil any protest march. The main link roads including Sangrama, Seloo and Nowpora connecting Sopore with other areas were blocked by forces using coils of concertina wires and no one was allowed to move.
The areas where curfew was not imposed observed complete shutdown as a mark of protest against the civilian killing. Shops, public transport, businesses and educational institutions remained closed.
Sub-Divisional Magistrate Sopore said that curfew remained in force till 6:30 p.m. “The day passed off peacefully except a few incidents of stone pelting. There will be no curfew on Thursday,” he informed Greater Kashmir.
Meanwhile, Hurriyat leader from Sopore, Ghulam Nabi Zaki, was allegedly beaten by CRPF and police personnel at Channakhan Bridge at 10:30 a.m, resulting in injuries to him. Zaki was on his way to visit the bereaved family of Arshad Shah to express solidarity with them.
“Bereaved family falls in my neighborhood and it is just a few yards away from my residence. I was on way to express my sympathy with them. As I reached Channakhan Bridge, police and CRPF personnel thrashed me after an S.I of JK Police told them that I belong to Hurriyat. Some locals watching the scene from their windows rushed in to save me. As I was given water in a nearby house, forces entered there and again beat me,” he told 

Previous post AmarnathYatra deferred via Pahalgam route
Next post 3 die as picnic bus turns turtle in Sangam