Mysterious death of youth triggers protests in Bla town

He was a militant: SSP  * Locals reject police claim

2Hundreds of people  Wednesday protested in Palhallan area of North Kashmir and sought magisterial inquiry into the ‘mysterious’ death of youth, who according police was a militant and killed in an encounter.
“Mudasir had joined militant ranks in recent past and was involved in recent rifle snatching incident at main market Pattan,” a police spokesman said.
Maintaining silence over circumstances leading to youth’s death, he said Mudasir was trapped in one of the houses at Suraipora, Kreeri where a brief encounter took place and later his body was recovered from the spot.
“On a tip off Baramulla police, 29 RR and 176 CRPF launched a cordon in village Suraipora. While the cordon was being laid, few gunshots were heard from a house. The police party approached the house and recovered body of Mudasir Ahmad Sofi of Palhallan, Pattan. Besides, an Insas rifle alongwith some cartridges was recovered from the deceased,” the spokesman said.
SSP Baramulla Suhail Ahmad told Rising Kashmir that investigations are being carried out into the incident.
He, however, said Mudasir had joined militant ranks and died due to bullet injury.
“Most probably he died after receiving his own bullet, which could have ricocheted of the concrete wall.  There are visible bullet injuries on his body,” SSP said.
He said they were carrying further investigations into the matter and FIR has been lodged.
“All his credentials will be investigated,” added SSP.
However, locals and family members of deceased youth strongly rejected the police claim and accused the policemen of killing him in a fake encounter.
“He was killed in fake encounter by the forces. He was missing for just last two days and never had been involved in any militant activities,” his brother said.
He said no FIR has been lodged against him in any police station. “Mudasir was pursuing his studies in local Government Degree College. He was a first year student”.
Mudasir’s brother said how he can become a militant in just two days. “The government should start an inquiry into the matter to ascertain the facts”.
Meanwhile, traffic movement on Srinagar-Muzaffarabad highway remained suspended for nearly three hours after body of the deceased youth was received by locals.
Hundreds of people from the town took to the highway and staged protest demonstrations.
Police resorted to lathi charge and fired tear smoke shells to disperse the agitating people.  The youth also hurled bricks and stones towards the cops.

Previous post Kashmir sizzles at 33.9 degrees
Next post Shun militancy, choose other ways to register protest: Omar to youth