JKTDC OUTLETS FOUND GROSSLY UNHYGIENIC: HEALTH OFFICER
The next time you are buying mutton but find no flies around do check if it was because of hygienic conditions at the shop or that the seller had sprayed insecticides right on the food stuff rendering it harmful for human consumption. Reasons: On Tuesday the municipal health authorities caught red-handed a mutton seller spraying insecticides on the mutton hanging on his shop.
An official handout said the mutton seller was caught during inspection of Batamaloo area shops by Health Officer Dr Rubeena Shaheen. “During inspection a butcher was prosecuted for spraying insecticides over meat to keep flies away which is hazardous for human health,” the handout said adding “All the quantity of mutton was seized and sprayed mutton destroyed on-the-spot.”
Talking to Greater Kashmir the Health Officer confirmed that she had been receiving frequent complaints on spraying of pesticides by the accused and some others. “We had been wanting to catch him red-handed and this is what we achieved today,” the Health Officer said. She said it was “hazardous for humans to consume such mutton.” “Even animals can die by consuming such a lot which is nothing but poisonous,” Dr Rubeena said.
As the team was inspecting the shop the locals came forward to hail the official even as many said the drive should continue.
Meanwhile earlier in the day a team of Srinagar Municipal Corporation (SMC) officials including the Health Officer, led by Municipal Magistrate Khurshid-Ul-Islam inspected various outlets of the Jammu and Kashmir Tourism Development Corporation(JKTDC).
The official handout said the JKDTC ventures including hotels and restaurants were found in “extremely poor sanitary conditions.”
“Dr Rubeena who was accompanied by Municipal Magistrate Khursheed-Ul-Islam inspected all the establishments of JKTDC situated around Lal Chowk area followed by other outlets including Hotel Taj. Health Officer has strictly warned all these establishments to maintain proper hygiene as all of these were found in extremely poor sanitary conditions,” the official handout said.