Another youth killed by pellets, death toll crosses 60, Curfew extended to more areas across Valley

People defy curfew in Srinagar, reach Eid Gah along with Chattabal man’s body

Another youth killed by pellets, death toll crosses 60, Curfew extended to more areas across ValleyHundreds of people defying curfew and restrictions on Wednesday succeeded in reaching ‘martyrs’ graveyard situated at Eid Gah, Srinagar to bury Reyaz Ahmad Shah there. Reyaz was killed after fired by a pellet gun at a blank range during the night.

People took the body of Reyaz and raising anti-India slogans marched from Chattabal to Eidgah defying curfew. Reyaz was later laid to rest.

Autopsy report of Reyaz Ahmad Shah resident of Chattabal Wednesday revealed that there were hundreds of pellets in his body.

Sources told Kashmir Post that autopsy of Reyaz was conducted last night which revealed that he had died due to pellets. “Hundreds of pellets were found in Reyaz’s body,” sources quoting autopsy report said. They said that Reyaz had been shot by a pellet gun at a close range which had caused a big wound in his abdomen. His family had already alleged CRPF personnel of killing Reyaz.

A bank ATM (Automatic Teller Machine) guard, Reyaz was killed during the night. Body of Reyaz, which bore a big perforation in the abdomen, was found outside SMHS Hospital, police said.

Police sources said that they have registered a case into the matter.

Curfew was on Wednesday extended to more areas in the Kashmir Valley to maintain law and order in view of protests yesterday that led to the death of a youth in Pulwama district and injuries to several others.

Curfew remained in force in five police station area of old city and was extended to Batamaloo, Shaheed gunj, Soura, Zadibal, Qamarwari and Bemina areas of the city as a precautionary measure, a police official said. He said curfew was also imposed in Khanpora area of Baramulla district and Awanitpora and Pampore in Pulwama district, while Anantnag town in south Kashmir also continued to remain under curfew.

“There are restrictions on the assembly of four or more people under Section 144 of the CrPC in rest of Kashmir,” he added. Normal life remained affected for the 26th consecutive day in the Valley due to the curbs imposed by the authorities and separatist-sponsored strike against the killing of civilians during clashes which erupted in the wake of killing of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani on July 8.

Schools, colleges, business establishments, banks and private offices remained closed while public transport remained off roads. Attendance in government offices was also thin, the official said.

Mobile Internet services continued to remain snapped in the entire Valley where postpaid mobile telephony services have been restored across all networks. The incoming facility on prepaid connections has also been restored, but outgoing calls are barred on such numbers.

The separatist camp has extended the shutdown call in Kashmir till August 5, calling for a march to Hazratbal shrine on Friday.

Hundreds of people in Bandipora Wednesday held peaceful demonstration in the town against the recent civilian killings in the valley. Earlier, they offered Nimaz-e-Zuhar at Gulshan Chowk, which was followed by special prayers. Later, they raised anti-India and pro-freedom slogans.

The protesters were peaceful till the reports last came in.