Clashes in Bijbehara as forces foil Pro-Freedom Rally; Batamaloo, Sopore witness Women Freedom Congregations

Shutdown, restrictions continue across Kashmir on 81 day 
Normal life remained paralysed in Kashmir for the consecutive 81st day on Tuesday due to a shutdown called by separatists and restrictions imposed by the authorities.
No area in Kashmir is under curfew today, but restrictions on the assembly of people are in place in many parts of the Valley as a precautionary measure, a police official told PTI news agency. He said there has been a considerable improvement in the overall situation in the Valley.
There was no untoward incident yesterday and the situation remained by and large peaceful during the day, the official said.
Shops, petrol pumps and other business establishments remained closed, while public transport remained off the roads. There was, however, an increase in the movement of cars and auto-rickshaws in and around the city centre in the summer capital Srinagar, with some areas witnessing heavy rush of people.
Schools, colleges and other educational institutions also remained closed across the Valley.
The separatist groups are spearheading the ongoing unrest in Kashmir and have been announcing weekly protest programmes with periodic relaxation on some days.

Massive clashes erupted in south Kashmir’s Bijbehara area on Tuesday.
Reports said that clashes erupted in Kanelwan village of Bijbehara of Anantnag district after government forces tried to foil a pro-freedom rally. It said the rally was organised for unity among various sects who had come to attend the rally.
However, a large posse of government forces appeared at the venue and ransacked the equipments besides allegedly beating up people. The latest reports said that the rally, however, was going on.

In Srinagar’s Batamaloo area and North Kashmir’s Sopore, hundreds of women held pro-freedom congregations on Tuesday. In Botengo area of Sopore, hundreds of women took out a pro-freedom rally.
Eye witnesses said that the women raided pro-freedom and anti-India freedom slogans.
The protest later dispersed off peacefully.
In Srinagar’s Batamaloo area, Dukhtaran-i-Millat, held a pro-freedom congregation in a Jamia Masjid which is still going on when this report was filed. “Hundreds of ladies are attending it,” an eye witness said, “scores of male youths too are listening to the speeches of the women resistance leadership.”
DeM chief Syedah Asiya Andrabi was scheduled to address the gathering, locals said.

Curfew continues for 3rd day in Kishtwar, more arrests likely
The curfew imposed in Kishtwar district following a stone pelting incident triggered by arrest of three persons remained in force for the third day Tuesday.
Three persons were arrested on Saturday night and booked under the Public Safety Act (PSA) for allegedly disrupting peace in the district following which some persons resorted to stone pelting prompting the authorities to impose curfew in the district. The curfew continues for the third day today, but the situation is under control. There is no report of any untoward incident from anywhere, police officials said.
One more person, Asif, was detained by police during a raid last night for disrupting peace in the mountainous district. More arrests are likely as police have prepared a list of people who can been seen shouting “objectionable and provocative” slogans in some video clips, they said.
The authorities had yesterday relaxed the restrictions for two hours. (PTI)