Man shot dead in Pulwama, Militants offer gun salute

Clashes in Anantnag for second day

A 45-year-old man was found dead with multiple bullet wounds on his body on Friday in south Kashmir’s Pulwama district.
SP Pulwama, Muhammad Aslam, said body was found lying on the banks of RomshiNallah, on outskirts of Newa village in Pulwama district.
The slain was identified as Muhammad Yousuf Lone son of Sanaullah Lone of Gadoora village of Pulwama.
Sources, close to the family, told Kashmir Post that Lone left his house late Thursday evening after receiving a phone call and did not return in the night.
Reliable sources suggest that Lone was an Over Ground Worker (OGW) of Lashkar-e-Toiba and a former militant.
“We don’t know about his past or present associations. We are investigating the matter and it will be too early to comment on that,” SP Pulwama said.
The family and locals blamed forces for killing Lone.
Hundreds of people attended two separate funerals held for the slain. His body was draped in a Pakistani flag.
He was lowered into his grave amid pro-freedom and anti-India slogans.
At his funeral, militants also appeared and offered a gun salute to him.
Soon after his funeral, clashes erupted in main town Pulwama and adjoining areas and continued throughout the day.
A couple of people sustained injuries during the clashes and they were treated locally.
A police spokesman said during initial investigation, it was revealed that the deceased was fired upon by militants during intervening night of 18-19 May.
“A case FIR number 174/2017 under section 302 RPC and 7/27 Arms Act has been registered in PS Pulwama. Further investigation is going on,” he said.
Meanwhile, clashes continued in Anantnag district for second consecutive day today.
Protests had erupted in the town after police allegedly thrashed a shopkeeper, bringing the traders fraternity on to the streets who were later joined by students as well.
This morning, people again came out on roads to protest police highhandedness. The protestors clashed with the cops.
However, there were no reports of injuries to anybody during the clashes.
A police spokesman said some miscreants tried to enforce the shutdown in Lalchowkarea of Anantnag town this morning by pelting stones.
“Police reached the spot and chased the miscreants away with the help of the traders,” he said adding normalcy was restored.
However, locals said the clashes continued for most part of the day and the traders of the town were among the protesting people.