Pellet terror continues, scores injured during Shopian Operation

Seven protestors suffered pellet wounds when government forces fired into them while they were attempting to distract the attention of forces from acting against two to three militants caught in a house in Shopian on Sunday morning.
A police official said that army men of 34 RR, CRPF and SOG personnel laid a siege around the Laddi Imamsahab village– some 8 Kms towards the east from the Shopian town. During the search operation, militants believed to be 2-3 in number fired a volley of bullets on the forces from a residential house, the official said.

“The forces retaliated the fire, triggering a gun fight” he added. However, the militants, amid a hail of bullets, managed to come out of the house and vanished into the nearby thick apple orchard.
According to local residents, the house owners identified as Mohmmad Yousuf Wani and Mushtaq Ahmad Bhat were also picked off by the forces during the operation. As the search operation was in progress, dozens of people came out of their homes and pelted stones and bricks on the forces.
The forces responded by firing pellets and tear gas shells, causing injuries to seven persons. Among them four persons have been sent to SMHS, Srinagar for specialised treatment.

Dr Muhammad Yousuf, BMO Shopian, said that they received 4 persons with pellet injuries at sub district hospital Zainpora. “One of them have been shifted to Srinagar” he said.
An official at district hospital Shopian said that three persons with pellet injures in eyes have been sent to SMHS Srinagar after they were brought to the hospital. The forces wrapped up the operation in the area after a few hours of intense search, another police official said.
Meanwhile, government forces on Saturday night also launched a night long cordon and search operation in the Karmabad area of Pulwama district following the inputs about the presence of militants in these villages. The operation was called off almost after 8 hours as no militant was found in the area, police said.