‘Kill Us All’ Joint Resistance Leadership’s march to army HQs foiled

Kashmir Observes Shutdown On 3rd Running Day Against Seven Civilian killings In Pulwama; Geelani’s House Sealed Of, Mirwaiz, Malik Detained; Internet Remains Shut

Authorities imposed curbs to thwart a protest march called by joint resistance leadership to Badamibagh, housing the headquarters of army’s 15 corps, even as protest shutdown against the killing of seven civilians in Pulwama on weekend continued for the third running day on Monday.

The JRL comprising Hurriyat Conference factions led by Syed Ali Geelani and Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and besides JKLF headed by Yasin Malik had called for the march in wake of the killing of seven civilians post a gunfight that claimed three militants and a soldier in Pulwama on Saturday last.

“As Government of India is only interested in our territory and forcibly holds on to it while systematically eliminating the people, it is better than they finish us off at once and that is why leadership has asked GoI to do that as we march towards their army headquarters in Badami Bagh on Monday. Or else stop the killings and massacres and resolve the dispute and save human lives,” The JRL had said.

The authorities imposed restrictions in Ram Munshibagh, Rainawari, Khanyar, Nowhatta, M.R. Gunj and Safa Kadal areas along with Maisuma and Kralkhud. Tough restrictions were also imposed in Pulwama district.

The authorities also sealed the chairman Syed Ali Geelani’s residence to prevent him from marching towards the Badami Bagh army base.

‘Police did not allow (Geelani) to come out of his residence as they had sealed the main gate of his residence from outside,” said a spokesman of the amalgam.

Chairman of Hurriyat Conference Hurriyat (M) Mirwaiz Umar Farooq was detained as he tried to defy defied house arrest and tried to march towards Badami Bagh.

Reports said that Mirwaiz came out of his Nigeen residence and tried to march along with dozens of his supporters towards the Badami Bagh base.

However, a police contingent deployed near his residence thwarted the march and detained the Mirwaiz and his supporters.

Police also detained Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF) chief Yasin Malik as he tried to march towards the army headquarters in Srinagar.

Malik had gone underground to evade arrest from last few days and he was detained at Budshah bridge after he took out a march towards Badami Bagh army base.

Malik took out a march from Gaw Kadal along with his supporters and included women and as soon as he reached Budshah bridge police swung into action and fired tear gas shells to foil the protest. Later Malik was taken into custody.

Meanwhile, a complete shutdown was observed in Kashmir Valley on Monday for the third straight day with all shops and other commercial establishments closed in this summer capital of the state and elsewhere in the Valley.

The public and private transport was mainly off the roads while educational institutions were closed. The Kashmir University and other varsities had postponed examinations scheduled for today. The train service between Srinagar to Banihal and Srinagar to Baramulla remained also suspended for the third consecutive day today for “security reasons”.

Meanwhile, clashes between youth and government forces were reported at Habbakadal, Nawabazar, Eidgah, Barbarshah, Maisuma, Natipora, Rambagh, Naikbagh, Manchowa, Kralpora areas of Srinagar and northern Baramulla district’s Khanpora area. Restrictions were also imposed in parts of Srinagar and in entire Pulwama. Internet remained snapped in south Kashmir and Srinagar while speed remained very low elsewhere.