Pro-Burhan Graffiti, Banners come up in Kashmir on slain commanders death anniversary, Clashes erupt in Tral after youth defy Curfew

Posters and graffiti extolling Burhan Wani have come up on Kashmir valley on the maiden death anniversary of the slain Hizb-ul-Mujahideen commander.
Wani’s killing on July 8 last year had triggered a 53-day uprising in which nearly hundred civilians were killed in forces’ action on protesters.

Over 200 civilians, including girls, lost vision partially or completely due to pellets fired by the forces to foil rallies during the uprising.
Pro-freedom and pro-Burhan graffiti has been scribbled on shop shutters and walls besides the posters of Wani across Srinagar, region’s main city.
In south Kashmir, banners with pictures of Wani appeared at various places along with pictures of United Jihad Council (UJC) Chief Syed Salahuddin and Hurriyat (G) chairman Syed Ali Geelani.

The banners were spotted at Martyrs’ graveyard Reshi Bazar, Lazibal K P road, Khanabal, Bijbehara, Malpora highway and Dochnipora area of Anantnag, and Khudwani and other areas of Kulgam district.

Meanwhile, clashes erupted in Tral township of Pulwama district in south Kashmir after youth defied curfew and tried to march towards Burhan Wani’s grave on Saturday.
Witnesses said that hundreds of youth defied curfew and started a march towards the Wani’s grave in Eidgah area of Sharifabad on his maiden death anniversary.

However, police and paramilitary forces deployed there resorted to tear smoke shelling to disperse the protesters, triggering clashes.
They said that forces personnel have been deployed around the Wani’s grave to prevent any rally.
Wani was killed on July 8 last year in a gunfight with forces in Bemdoora village of Kokernag in Anantnag district.

Given the massive unrest triggered last year due to Wani’s killing, authorities have beefed up security to ensure that situation remains under control.
At least 94 civilian protesters were killed and over 200 lost vision partially or completely due to pellets fired by the forces to foil rallies during the 2016 unrest.
The unrest lasted for 53 days during which normal life, businesses, tourism and education remained paralysed in the valley.